Destination Play at Kāwaroa is truly a visionary project, an initiative of the Taranaki Foundation in partnership with mana whenua of Ngāmotu, Ngāti Te Whiti, NP Partners and New Plymouth District Council. It will be a futuristic family-friendly experience that brings the unique nature, culture, histories and stories of the site playfully alive.
Construction is set to begin after summer School holidays (early 2023) and expected to be completed later in 2023.
To date 65% of the total project cost has been secured and the balance is currently being raised through philanthropic donations, sponsorship and in-kind contributions from individuals, organisations, funders and trusts. NP Partners and Taranaki Foundation are also encouraging public engagement and contributions to help bring the project fully to life.
We are inviting you to consider contributing and help deliver the full vision and legacy. We are committed to creating the very best of New Zealand here in Ngāmotu and we need your help.
Let’s make it happen.
DESTINATION PLAY FACTS
The Destination Play area will cover approximately 22,000 m² and include:
- Water, challenge and natural play features
- Shared social spaces, seating, shelter and an outdoor classroom area
- Easier access to Kāwaroa reef encouraging natural exploration
- A Maramataka feature that highlights the Māori lunar calendar
- Agility and fitness equipment including a pump track, climbing platforms and swings
- Learning hotspots aligned with local history, mana whenua and the NZ curricula
- Better public facilities including changing rooms, toilets, parking and space for food trucks