Play is essential for people of all ages and abilities.
Accessibility and inclusivity considerations have been considered and incorporated across the design elements including:
- The inclusion of a Changing Places toilet, accessible and uni-sex toilets and changing facilities.
- Mobility carparks, a new ramp access from the Coastal Walkway and a range of access points (steps, ramps).
- Various hard and non-slip surfaces, accessible water play and better access to the natural reef.
- There will also be accessible and inclusive play components and play opportunities.
- Destination Play tells a rich cultural story of the local area and hapū. This has been built into the design across all aspects.
- The design also incorporates the teaching curriculum into the play spaces to allow for schools to visit and use the various areas as outside classrooms.
- A range of experiences and spaces will be included in the 12 conceptually themed zones – including: Shared social spaces, gender neutral spaces, free to use BBQs, quiet and active zones, sensory stimulation, and a coastal plant garden.