As well as replacing an ageing playground facility, Destination Play at Kāwaroa will transform this significant location into a major intergenerational educational and play resource.
The 22,000 m² play area will include:
- Water, challenge and natural play features.
- Shared social spaces, seating, shelter and an outdoor classroom area.
- Easier access to Kāwaroa reef encouraging natural exploration.
- A Maramataka feature that highlights the Māori lunar calendar.
- Agility and fitness equipment including a pump track, climbing platforms and swings.
- Learning hotspots aligned with local history, mana whenua and the NZ curricula.
- Better public facilities including changing rooms, toilets, parking and space for food trucks